September 27, 2010

mostly raw carob almond coconut truffles

These are based on a recipe my friend Tati showed me. I don't know if she used the same proportions, but I've made them a few times since without a recipe and this is my favorite result so far. One of the other times I rolled the finished truffles in carob powder after chilling them. They really looked like truffles then! This time I didn't have the patience for that, but I did have a camera. 



Ingredients:
1 c almond meal
1/2 c unrefined coconut oil
1/2 c coconut butter (I use Artisana brand)
1/2 c carob powder + more for finishing, if desired (I use Bob's red mill brand) 
5 T honey (I use raw meadow foam honey)
1 T bourbon vanilla extract
3 t cinnamon
1 t fresh grated nutmeg
1 t ground ginger
1/2 t cardamom
1/2 t sea salt


Melt the coconut oil and butter together in a saucepan over low heat until completely liquid and combined. Remove from heat and add honey and vanilla. Allow to cool until it is just above room temperature (or just cool enough to handle). 


In a medium bowl mix together the almond meal, carob powder, and dry spices. 


Pour warm oil mixture over the dry ingredients and, with clean hands, mix in the oil thoroughly and knead the mixture until it will form a ball. 


Wash your hands and coat with a dab of coconut oil. You can eyeball them if you don't need them to be exactly the same size, but I have a mini ice cream scoop that allows me to scoop out exactly a tablespoon at a time so I use that. Scoop out about a tablespoon at a time and roll into a ball with your hands. Set finished balls on a plate or cookie sheet that can fit in your fridge. 


Once you've rolled all the dough, chill the truffles for about an hour. At this point they are firm enough to serve or roll in carob if you'd like, in which case you can dump about 1/4 c of carob powder in a small teacup or ramekin and coat them one-by-one by rolling them around in it. I've served them in mini cupcake liners in the past and they were super cute that way! Here they are sans liners or carob powder coating: 



No comments: